We provide two styles of installation services to our clients.
i. A standard installation includes the following:
a. Cabled network installation
b. Wireless Access Point (WAP) installation and test of reception
c. Network printer installation
Option 1 - Installation to a client with an appropriate new service contract:
The installation may be able to be performed as part of the annual health check and/or using inclusive on-site service hours depending on the complexity of the proposed network installation. Alternatively the installation may be performed either using inclusive hours from on-site service visit or as a chargeable service visit at the inclusive reduced rate.
All site surveys undertaken will be classed as an inclusive on-site service visit.
All components including if required cable and plugs, will be charged at cost.
Option 2 - installation without a service contract:
Minimum charge of one hour per service technician on-site at our pay-as-you-go rates - two technicians are generally required for most hardwired installations.
Not-for-profit organisations based in Calderdale may be entitled to a discount price on all required components.
Please note: for clients without a service contract, a chargeable site survey will be required prior to providing a quote, the cost of which is fully refundable if the client agrees to proceed with the installation.
PC or Wireless Installation
A site survey will usually be required for all installation quotes. Two styles of site surveys are available - in the case of a simple installation we may ask you to complete a remote site survey to confirm all details of your proposed installation requirements. Where the installation will require either fixed network cabling or wireless repeater(s)/bridges to be installed or where the client is unsure of the scope of necessary work, an on-site Survey will be required.
Typically the work will include:
- The physical network installation, including cabling
- Setting computers up on the network
- Testing of the network
Network Printer Installation
Typically the work will include:
- The installation of the printer on your network, including cabling
- Setting up of the print spooler
- Mapping of desktop PCs to the printer
Please note for clients without a service contract, all network printer installations will require a site survey. This is a chargeable service, the cost of which is fully refundable if the client agrees to proceed with the installation.
ii. A customised installations service:
This is any non-standard network installation, which includes:
- any installation that will require the use of any combination of different networking media - i.e. wired, wireless, mobile broadband and/or homeplug or powerline networking over electrical wiring to function
- any installation that spans two or more rooms, more than one building or will require drilling to go through walls or ceilings
- any server network
- any network using non-standard equipment or connecting computers using different protocols or operating systems such as a PC to an Apple Mac or Linux system.
A site survey is a prerequisite for all customised installations and will provide the client with the following:
- Details of the work to be undertaken,
- Proposed cable route or location for wireless bridges,
- signal strength for wireless
- Costings, including manpower, components and material costs
All installations assume the following:
- Access to all necessary mains power and network connection points is available within 2m from proposed site of installation.
- A suitable location site is available for the installation (i.e. not exposed to water, dust or located where equipment would be liable to be easily damaged etc.).
- The client is licensed for all necessary software and has access to installation keys and passwords.
- Appropriate hardware is either purchased through DOT-COMmunications or has been purchased and will be available for installation on the agreed date. Any delays due to non-arrival of equipment not purchased through ourselves will be chargeable at the rates shown below.
- Where the installation will require to go through walls or ceilings that the client has obtained all the approvals necessary and has agreed to the proposed cable route or equipment location.
- That access to the Internet, if required, has been legally purchased and the client has ownership of the necessary equipment and access to the service provider if required.
Resolution of any technical problems will always be on a best endeavours basis and a final resolution cannot be guaranteed. The installation service does not extend to any and all problems relating to the use of illegal, pirated or unlicensed software.
DOT-COMmunications provides a NO FIX, NO FEE (or service 'refund') guarantee excepting in regard to issues relating to internet access, problems caused by illegal software, or refunds relating to third-party equipment supplied or the cost of any installed cabling and equipment.
In no event shall DOT-COMmunications be liable to the User for any loss of data, business, or for any other indirect or consequential or economic loss whatsoever as a result of using an installed network. It is the Users responsibility to ensure they backup their data on a regular basis. DOT-COMmunications will not be responsible for any data loss howsoever arising.
Cabling can be attached either using staples or conduit. Please specify which option you will require before installation.
You will be asked to confirm your selected cabling route. This may require the use of shielded cable or holes drilled into the building which can add to the overall cost.
When installing wireless networks (WiFi), we cannot guarantee the strength of signal will remain consistant as DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) cordless phones and other nearby wireless networks can interfere with wireless reception. The use of additional wireless repeaters/bridges can help reduce the interference but will add to the overall cost.