All websites designed by us are initially optimised for search engines as part of the design process. Although many companies will demand hundeds (if not thousands of pounds) each year for continual re-optimisation, we advise you to forget all the tricks such companies suggest (which only ever achieve short-term success if any) and focus on writing good and appropriate content instead. Good search engine optimisation (and high search engine ratings) is dependent primarily on your website's words and contents. We can undertake this task for you if you wish (at our standard fee) however it is a skill you should learn.
The best way to summarise SEO is this: content matters. The search engines are looking for websites with quality content. They do so by analysing your website and judging it according to certain criteria. The more good "marks" you get, the higher your site will be listed in the search results. If you want a high ranking, give them what they're looking for. It's as simple as that.
1. Read Google's Webmaster Guidelines.
2. Analyse your website according to Google's guidelines.
3. Make the necessary changes to bring your site up to recommended standards:
- Use valid, standards-compliant source code. If you can't easily read the text content buried in your code, neither can the browser bots.
- Create a solid set of meaningful keywords. Don't stuff your pages full of every word association you can think of. Less is more.
- Use consistent language in your text and image ALT tags.
4. Add some new content to your website every 6-8 weeks for the search engine bots to detect. The search engines are looking for quality, so give it to them.
5. Check your server statistics package regularly. Learn what the numbers mean by reading the Help.
6. Read about Google's free analysis tools and learn how to use them. Again, read the Help.
7. Develop meaningful business cross-linking strategies with other organisations in your field.
Website development requires time, effort, and money. Put these resources into developing your website and you won't have to pay or trick people into finding you. If you give your visitors what they're looking for, they may come back for more.