Have you often wondered what you might be able to do if you had a computer? Well now is your chance to find out.
As part of Silver Surfers Week in May, you can book on a free 2-hour “taster” session in Hebden Bridge.
You can see what all the fuss is about and decide if it’s for you. They will try to de-mystify PC jargon and you’ll see brief demonstrations of the many ways you can use a computer – both with and without a connection to the Internet.
In 2 hours you’ll see how to –
• Search for anything using Google
• Plan a journey by bus or rail (and buy tickets)
• Use Google maps to plan journeys and get directions (and to get free SatNav if you have a suitable phone…)
• Look for books on Amazon (and lots of other things….)
• Order groceries from Tesco (and lots of other things….)
• Find a car on Autotrader
• Renew your car tax (…..search for a job, check tax/benefits information on DirectGov)
• Check the latest news (BBC)..(and listen to radio or watch TV on your PC)
• Download music, “podcasts” of radio programmes, “talking books”
• Look at property to rent or for sale near you
• Look for a better place for your savings
• Read the latest weekly newsletter from Lidl, Aldi and Age UK (and email your comments back…..).
You’ll also get a chance to try some of these things for yourself, with a tutor to help when needed.
If these sessions are oversubscribed then more will be scheduled – you can leave your details and they’ll contact you with alternative dates.
These sessions will be at DOT-COMmunications, a not-for-profit company just next to the Co-Op in Hebden Bridge that refurbishes and recycles PCs and also provides IT support services for local charities. DOT-COMmunications also sells reconditioned computers and has special prices for older people.